For a software developer or programmer or a tester, a good laptop is a good friend that makes life easier! Though there are nothing called ‘Programming laptops’ in reality, but certain specifications of a laptop make them better compared to the others when gauged in terms of execution, performance and power.
Specification of a good programming laptop:
- A good battery life: some laptops provide a battery life of 5-6 hours and some 11-12 hrs. One should always look for a longer battery life in a laptop, as it gives the freedom of portability and also, saves one from accidental shutdown of machine due to 0 battery level and therefore loss of coding effort of a programmer.
- Processor: A very good processor is a must for a good programming experience. The central processing unit must belong to Intel core i5 family or best if i7 is used. The processors also come with 2/4/6 no. of cores. The greater the number, the better the performance of the processor. AMDA10 processor also makes a good choice.
- Graphics processing unit: The inbuilt graphics card that comes along with motherboard is enough for programmers. However, in the field of gaming, software development and testing, a very good graphic card can make a difference.
- RAM: Random Access Memory is a crucial factor determining the execution and performance of the laptop for programming. 2GB of RAM is the bare minimum requirement. Better if one can obtain 8GB and the best if 32 GB RAM is available.
- Hard drive storage space: 1TB HDD or 256 GB SSD storage are excellent choices.
- Operating system: 32 or 64 bit operating systems are welcomed. Windows 10, a 64 bit operating system is an example of a good OS available in the market.
- Larger screens: 15” or 17” best laptop for developers screens suffice the purpose.
Along with these, a cooler fan should be used to dissipate heat generated out of high processing tasks done in the laptop while coding, running the software and testing it.
Programming laptops or desktops: which is a better choice?
There are some advantages of using a laptop against a desktop for programming. Coding or programming needs a lot of effort specifically with shorter deadlines provided by the clients, developers need to work for most of the hours in a day. In this scenario, using a laptop gives one the convenience of portability or moving at places with the laptop and relaxing.
But desktops have some advantages over laptops as well. The bigger the screen, the better the functionality. One has to scroll the screen too much causing human induced errors in codes, on using a shorter screen.
Also in some programming such as web development and embedded systems software development, more than 1 screen is required. Desktops can integrate the same easily.
However if the build of the machine is very important in some programming, desktops are more advantageous over the laptops as we cannot easily integrate best quality parts in a laptop as easily as in a desktop. In a desktop assembling of different best parts can be done.